NEED TO KNOW: MAKING AND ENFORCING
VIRGINIA FOIA REQUESTS
A Free, 3-hour Virginia CLE Course
October 15, 2019, at 1:00 to 4:15 p.m. by Webcast
Presented by Andrew T. Bodoh
Andrew T. Bodoh is the author of The Virginian’s Guide to FOIA, an easy to read, Q&A book for citizens trying to exercise their rights under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Va. Code § 2.2-3700 et seq.). Mr. Bodoh has represented dozens of Virginia citizens and business trying to secure their Virginia FOIA rights through litigation, from the general district courts to the Virginia Supreme Court.
This course is designed to teach Virginia attorneys and citizens the ropes of making and enforcing Virginia FOIA requests, with a special focus on the practical lessons of experience, both in and out of court.
Andrew Bodoh is the senior associate of Thomas H. Roberts & Associates, P.C., a civil rights and plaintiffs’ litigation firm, based in Richmond, Virginia.
Publications Books/ Kindle Books
- THE VIRGINIAN’S GUIDE TO FOIA (new editions annually since 2015)
NEWEST EDITION AVAILABLE HERE!
- STICK FIGURE: SHOWING CLIENTS, JURIES, AND THE OTHER GUYS THE VALUE OF THE CASE (2016) AVAILABLE HERE!
Publications Law Review Articles
- Terminating Hope: Defensive Medicine in Cases of Poor Prenatal Diagnoses, 14 LIBERTY U.L. REV. ___ (forthcoming, Fall 2019)
- Liberty Is Not Loco-Motion: Obergefell and the Originalists’ Due Process Fallacy, 40 CAMPBELL L. REV. 482 (2018)
- The Road to “Due Process,” 40 T. JEFFERSON L. REV. 103 (2018)
- Bill might dilute FOIA’s impact, op. ed., DAILY PRESS (Newport News, Va.) (Jan. 1, 2016)
- Change Virginia’s FOIA to increase transparency, op. ed., WASH. POST (Sept. 28, 2015)
Notable Cases FOIA cases
- Harmon v. Ewing, 285 Va. 335, 335, 745 S.E.2d 415 (2013) (affirming in part a grant of mandamus against police chief for violation of Virginia FOIA)
- Denton v. City Council for the City of Hopewell, 91 Va. Cir. 429, 429 (Cir. Ct. 2015) (ruling the City of Hopewell violation Virginia FOIA meeting provisions through a closed session to discuss whom to elect as mayor and vice-mayor)
First Amendment and Civil Rights
- Liverman v. City of Petersburg, 844 F.3d 400 (4th Cir. 2016)
- Smith v. Commonwealth, 286 Va. 52, 743 S.E.2d 146 (2013)
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. v. Franklin Ctr., No. 1:13-cv-957, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47051 (E.D. Va. Apr. 4, 2014)
- Artis v. Commonwealth, No. 0198-13-2, 2014 Va. App. LEXIS 323, at *1 (Ct. App. Sep. 23, 2014)
October 15, 2019 1–2:30 p.m. Virginia FOIA requests and replies
2:30–2:45 p.m. Break
2:45–4:15 p.m. Virginia FOIA enforcement
Email email@example.com – subject line “FOIA CLE Registration”